Frequently Asked Questions How old do I have to be to be eligible for driver education?
You must at least 15 years of age in order to take driver education in the State of Maryland.
Do I need to have a learnerís permit in order to be eligible for driver education?
Yes, a permit is required in order to take and complete driver education in the State of Maryland.
Do I need to complete driver education in order to receive a learnerís permit?
No, you can receive a learnerís permit without any prior training. However, you must pass a written exam and vision test at the MVA. You must be at least 15 years old and 9 months in order to receive the permit.
I am over 18 years old. Do I still have to take driver education?
Yes, all new drivers (unless they have an international license) must complete driver education regardless of their age.
What do the classes include?
Our MVA approved program includes 30 hours of classroom instruction with 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training.
How are the behind-the-wheel sessions scheduled?
The 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training are broken down into (3) 2-hour or (4) 1,5-hour segments.
They are scheduled by appointment at the studentís convenience. For example, the student would indicate to our staff when it is convenient for him or her to drive. Our staff would then match times to accommodate that student.
Do you pick up for driver education?
We do not pick up for the classroom portion of the driver education course. It is possible to pick a student up for their behind-the-wheel appointments.
Our instructors are willing to pick up and drop off students at their homes or other locations as long as they are within reasonable driving distance from our school.
What do I need to bring to class?
* Your Payment (Cash or Check)
* Copy of your birth certificate or learnerís permit
* Pen & Paper
What happens if I miss a class?
The MVA requires that you complete 30 hours of classroom instruction. Therefore, 100% attendance is required. If you miss a class, you must make it up at a later date. Please contact the school.
How much does it cost to obtain a learnerís permit?
A learnerís permit costs $50 in the state of Maryland.
How do I obtain a driverís license in the state of Maryland?
1. Complete a driver education course from a certified provider such as Emerald Driving Academy.
2. Pass the MVA written law test and obtain a learner's permit.
3. Hold the learner's permit for at least 6 months (effective 10/1/05) and have 60 hours of behind-the-wheel practice with a mentor/parent.
4. Pass the behind-the-wheel driving exam given at one of the MVA branch offices. (appointment required by the MVA for the driving test) and you obtain a provisional license.
5. Hold for provisional license 18 months violation free then convert to a regular license.
Emerald Driving Academy
3610 Milford Mill Road #1A, Baltimore, MD 21244
Tel: (410) 922-7150